The Right Way to Choose A Professional
Remodeling a kitchen or bathroom can be overwhelming for any homeowner. This is not a do-it-yourself project – remodeling these rooms is very different from a bedroom, dining room or family room. A specialized professional should be brought in to make accurate measurements, suggest proper materials and design a functional, safe and cost-efficient space that specifically reflects a homeowner’s taste and lifestyle. Whether it is new construction or a remodel, let an NKBA professional add value to your investment by applying their experience and expertise to the job.
To ease the process and help homeowners find an appropriate professional that will guide them through the stages of remodeling, the NKBA offers the following tips:
- Do your research. Pick several designers or dealers in your area; meet with each of them and trade ideas and suggestions. Make sure they’re qualified for your needs and ask to see past projects and/or a portfolio.
- Clean, neat showrooms. Showrooms serve as a way for designers and dealers to showcase their work. When a showroom is messy, missing elements of displays or not completed professionally, it might be a warning signal to look elsewhere.
- Interesting designs. Look for a professional who designs outside the box. This is a major investment and you don’t want to settle for the status quo.
- Well-constructed presentations. Craftsmanship is just as important as innovative designs. If your kitchen or bathroom isn’t built well, you’ll feel as though it was a wasted investment.
- Broad range of styles. You’ll want a professional who can create more than one look. If all the products or designs have a similar look, you won’t be able to personalize your space.
- Friendly, helpful staff. A kitchen or bath remodel could take months to complete. You will be in close contact with these professionals during this time and you want it to be an enjoyable experience.
- Satisfied client references. If a designer is unable to provide you with a list of satisfied clients, it may be an indication that you will not be satisfied either.
- NKBA Membership. Membership in the NKBA symbolizes the finest the kitchen and bath industry has to offer. NKBA members specialize in kitchens and bathrooms and you will be able to benefit from this focused expertise.
How do you know if a designer is qualified for your project? Many NKBA professionals are certified kitchen or bath designers. All NKBA certification programs require extensive professional experience and education. If you prefer a certified kitchen and/or bathroom designer, below is a list of options you have when picking the right certified professional for your job:
- AKBD – Associate Kitchen & Bath Designer
- CKD – Certified Kitchen Designer
- CBD – Certified Bathroom Designer
- CMKBD – Certified Master Kitchen & Bath Designer
Pick the NKBA professional that satisfies your taste and style most. You should never be persuaded to do anything you don’t like or that doesn’t fit into your budget. NKBA members are the finest professionals in the industry and can help to make your dream kitchen and bath a reality. To find a member near you or to receive your free NKBA Kitchen and Bath Consumer Workbook, call (800) THE-NKBA or visit www.nkba.org.
© National Kitchen & Bath Association