Bathroom cabinets, not to be confused with vanities, are ideal for adding extra storage to your space. Forget cluttered countertops and overflowing medicine cabinets — a freestanding or wall-mounted bathroom cabinet
will give you back the clean and organized look you once had. Whether you need a small bathroom storage cabinet or a large bathroom storage cabinet, there’s sure to be a bathroom storage cabinet that meets your needs. Read on to learn which cabinet will work best for your bathroom.
What are my mounting options for bathroom cabinets?
Depending on the size and layout of your space, you may have multiple bathroom cabinet options — these four types are the most common:
- Bathroom floor cabinets: If you have floor space available, freestanding bathroom cabinets will be the most versatile option. You can move them around if you decide to change your layout, or easily swap them out without the hassle of unbolting them from the wall.
- Bathroom wall cabinets: When floor space is limited, look to the walls for extra storage. With a little muscle, or the help of a handyman, you can have your walls working double time by mounting a simple wall cabinet.
- Corner bathroom cabinets: If both wall and floor space are sparse, you may be able to squeeze some function out of an underutilized corner. Corner cabinets fit neatly into these nooks, whether mounted on the wall or freestanding on the floor.
- Over-the-toilet bathroom cabinets: The space above the toilet tends to get overlooked, but is a goldmine for extra storage. Bathroom cabinets over the toilet combine the ease of a freestanding fixture plus the space-saving power of a wall cabinet all in one. Just make sure you anchor it to the wall!
Which features should a bathroom storage cabinet have?
At minimum, a good bathroom cabinet should have enough space to for the items you plan to stash there, plus a little wiggle room for extras that might make their way in over the years. Any other features are personal preferences, but may feel like a necessity to you. When shopping for bathroom storage cabinets, be on the lookout for features like these:
- Towel bar: To have your new furniture work double duty, look for a bathroom cabinet with a towel bar. This way you can hang a hand towel or two from it and skip having to take up any more space than needed from the rest of the room.
- Mirror: Make your space look bigger and your hair look better by scooping up a bathroom cabinet with a mirror. You can use it to replace a medicine cabinet or just to add another mirrored surface to the room.
- Glass-panel door: Want to see all those lovely curated products you are storing? Opt for a glass-panel bathroom storage cabinet to show off the goods while keeping out the dust.
- Shelving: You may want an open shelf or two for easy access to products that you use everyday or to place a few decorative objects to spruce up an otherwise plain bathroom cabinet. Also, adjustable shelving is handy to be able to move up or down depending on your storage needs.