The Continuing Education Unit (CEU) is a nationally recognized unit of measure used to quantify continuing education activities. Continuing Education Units (CEUs) were created as a way to document education and training in specifically developed activities for adult learners in a variety of disciplines. One CEU is defined as “10 contact hours of participation in an organized continuing education experience under responsible sponsorship, capable direction, and qualified instruction.” 1
The NKBA initially created the Ongoing Professional Development program (OPD) in 1993 to promote and enrich knowledge, improve skills, and develop attitudes for the enhancement of the kitchen and bath industry, thus ensuring public confidence in NKBA-certified professionals.
Since the CEU is a nationally recognized system of measurement for participation in continuing education, the NKBA decided to switch from the OPD program to the CEU program, effective January 1, 2002.
1 This definition was taken from the handbook entitled “The Continuing Education Unit Criteria and Guidelines,” written by the National Task Force on the Continuing Education Unit.
- Complete an online CEU Reporting Form. Once completed, a simple click will send the information directly to the NKBA Certification Department for processing. Faxed or mailed CEU reporting forms will not be accepted. NOTE: This form is not to be used for NKBA Professional Education courses.
- Please remember to subtract time for breaks and lunch when reporting CEUs.
- You are not required to submit an online CEU Reporting Form for any NKBA webinar, NKBA web-based series, or in-person NKBA education course. Attendees will automatically receive CEU credit when the class is closed by the NKBA. Feel free to maintain your own attendance records, in the event of a discrepancy.
- Do not wait until the end of the two-year CEU cycle to submit online CEU Reporting Forms. Please submit within 30 days of attendance. This will ensure adequate time to provide additional information on any given event, as needed.
- Please use your individual Member ID (not your company’s ID) and your name on record (please provide hyphenated names, married names, etc.) when submitting online CEU Reporting Forms.
- Submission of CEU documentation and updates will not be provided on an individual basis. You may access and monitor your account by logging into our website as a member and looking at the top right-hand sidebar. If CEU credit is not posted to your record within four weeks of the transmission date, or there is a discrepancy, please contact the Certification Department at 800-THE-NKBA (843-6522).